- Manufacturer – Monogram
- Scale – 1:48
- Aircraft – McDonnell Douglas F-4C Phantom
- Markings – 67 TFS, Korat AB “Rub a Dub Dub”
- Paint – Gunze Mr. Color, Mr. Paint, Vallejo
- Aftermarket – Twobobs’ Decals, Furball Aero-Designs cockpit seals, Hasegawa Weapons Set C
I was asked to build this jet for the Reddit Phantom groupbuild, to demonstrate the technique known as black basing. Having started work on the same kit a few years ago, I had an idea of what I was getting into with this build. It’s an old kit, and it shows signs of it’s age. But it’s not a bad kit. Monogram’s molds have held up through time and numerous re-boxings to still make a nice kit.
One of the biggest downfalls with the kit are the raised panel lines. For some people, that won’t be a big deal, but they’re unrealistic and they make it difficult to do surface prep on the plastic. I decided the kit would be completely rescribed. Using numerous tools, especially the UMM scriber, I went at it. As one of the more tedious parts of the build, I wanted to get it done and out of the way.
Once the scribing was done, I moved on to the cockpit, which was painted with Mr. Hobby colors. An interesting quirk of this kit, it doesn’t have regular ejection seats. The seat bottoms are molded into the cockpit tub and the backs are separate. Now, they’re still really well detailed seats, they even have molded belts, but I found it odd none the less.
With the cockpit finished I was able to close up the fuselage. For the most part, it was a good fit. Some seams were there, but they were taken care of with some carefully applied putty. The intake fairings, however, created some low spots and steps where they met the main fuselage halves. I few layers of putty and a lot of sanding smoothed them out.
The rest of the build was pretty unremarkable. I used Hasegawa’s weapons for the Shrikes and Sparrows as the kit Sparrows were full of ejector pin marks. I did have a few issues with the decals, but I was able to minimize their problems. There was some silvering on the smaller decals, and the slime lights on the wingtips cracked. I also had the tail code pull off the starboard side but was able to replace it with an extra on from the sheet.
The Furball canopy seals didn’t quite fit the Monogram plastic. They were designed for the Academy kit, so I wasn’t expecting perfection, but they work well enough and really standout on the final build.
This kit was a fun one to build again. It pushed my boundaries a bit with the full rescribe and it does have it’s imperfections. But with a little elbow grease and some patience, it can be built into a pretty nice model.
More photos with better resolution at SmugMug